5.31.2010

James Squire Guide to Beer

I love the way visualizations simplify decisionmaking. On a recent trip to Sydney I had dinner at James Squire, and when deciding which of their signature beers to pair with my meal, the following chart made my task a lot easier: 
It brought to mind this lovely number that was on display last year at Bobby Van's Steakhouse in Manhattan:
I find so much power in a simple two-axis matrix for choosing within a set of products. I'd love to see more services do this type of presentation to help consumers navigate the sometimes overwhelming choices that they are faced with. I've been thinking these types of presentations in the context of The Paradox of Choice by Barry Schwartz and Nudge by Thaler and Sunstein. Does this type of visualization make increasingly complex decisions easier to navigate? I tend to think so. I like an aromatic beer, with savory undertones, so I should choose an ale rather than a lager. Rather than struggling to identify the nuances between the myriad of beer choices, I'm given a useful map. What other types of choices can be simplified by a little visual design? I'd wager the categories are endless. It highlights to me the importance of empathy in design. If the first mantra of the information designer is to know the purpose of your data, the second may be to respect your audience. Be aware that as a designer you're steering them to a product, you may as well steer them to the product they're going to like the most. 

No comments: