6.08.2010

A word about predictive advertising.

For those of you who don't know, I recently got engaged. It was broadcast to the world via a status change on Facebook about a month ago, and now I get the strip of ads to your right.  I'm pretty sure Dan isn't getting these kinds of ads. It's a little annoying. So, a word about predictive advertising. Yeah, I get it Facebook, you need to monetize, so why not go the google route and ad it up? I'll tell you why: when I'm on Facebook, I'm not looking for unique bridal dresses or bridesmaid gift ideas, nor am I looking for tooth whitening services or the latest trends in bridal styles. I'm not even looking for those things on Google, in fact, I'm not looking for those things at all.

Given my DIY ethos, I am not interested in ordering unique, personalized gifts for my maid of honor and bridesmaids, who are the marriage police that dictate that I should even have bridesmaids? Why be gendered about it? I'll make them something myself and spare those standing up for me your tacky impression of what a wedding party should be thankyouverymuch. As it turns out, my mother will be sewing my dress. I'm working up sketches for her right now. My fiancee has been making me a new engagement ring every day, mainly because I don't wear many accessories in general and he couldn't figure out my ring size (hard to find a ring size when your GF doesn't own rings). So my word about predictive advertising is that it's not so predictive after all, and really pretty superficial. End rant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bitsy!

I'm trying to get a hold of you, but, alas, no email! We liked the 4sq data visualization you did.

Can you email me at joost[at]waffler.org

Thnx

Weddings, Portraits, Events said...

right! but do you need a photographer?!!!
hahahhaha!!!!!
;)
http://www.facebook.com/leah.dunbar#!/pages/Menomonie-WI/Leah-Dunbar-Photography/157092794301218